Facts to Know Before Purchasing Liquid Plumbing Solution
There are so many handy tools and cleaning supplies on the market today that seemingly make everyone’s lives easier. Liquid plumbing solution companies are advertised as one of these conveniences to help clean and unclog drains without the need for a professional. In theory, this is a great idea. However, in reality, these solutions tend to cause more harm than good.
Not only are they bad for your pipes and drains in the long run, but they are also detrimental to your health when inhaled or when they come in contact with your skin. Continue reading to learn more about the dangers of liquid plumbing solutions and how they affect your well-being.
Inhaling Toxic Chemicals
The active ingredient that is in all liquid plumbing solutions and is also extremely poisonous to humans is sodium hydroxide. Inhaling the fume from this chemical can cause some damage to you, especially over prolonged periods of use.
Simply inhaling sodium hydroxide will cause damage to your mucous membranes in your nose, throat and respiratory tract. Burning of the throat and severe headache are also side effects of inhaling the poison.
Purchasing and using this product may seem convenient, but if it is detrimental to your health and the health of those around you, it may not be the best option, the chemicals inside liquid drain cleaners are just not worth it.
Results of Skin Contact
Even if you buy a respirator or mask to wear while using the liquid plumbing solution, you are also taking the risk of getting the poison on your skin. Meer contact with the skin can cause severe burns that result in the person needing the skin to be surgically removed. The smallest amount of poison coming in contact with your skin is enough to cause a burning reaction.
If this happens, you need to seek help from a doctor right away. Caring for a poison burn is an emergency situation. You do not want this burn to become infected because you didn’t go to the doctor.
Sodium Hydroxide and Your Eyes
Just like inhaling or skin contact, if the poison manages to get in and cause eye irritation you need to immediately begin flushing your eyes out with at least 2 quarts of water and have someone call poison control in the process.
If the poison comes in contact with your eyes you could end up losing your vision entirely or at least damaging your eyesight. If sodium hydroxide is accidentally ingested, this calls for serious and immediate emergency care.
Call poison control before you do anything else and explain the person’s age, weight, and condition along with the product they ingested and how much was ingested. Ingesting sodium hydroxide can very easily cause drain cleaner poisoning which leads to perforations in the esophagus and other organs throughout the body.
The person will need direct care for weeks falling the incident and death is a risk even months later because infection within the body could occur. If you or someone you know is suffering from sodium hydroxide poisoning of any kind, call poison control immediately at 1-800-222-1222.
Locklear Plumbing Is Your Safest Route
Ditch the liquid plumbing solution and call a local Calhoun professional from Locklear Plumbing today. No matter the issue, this company will ensure the problem is fixed properly, safely and in a timely manner. They are a family-owned and operated business so you know you will get the best care for your home.